Thursday, February 26, 2009

IPA and Irish Red

I made my second attempt at an all-grain beer recently. I borrowed a recipe from homebrewtalk.com and made some slight variations to it. My recipe was as follows:

Irish Red Ale

Grain:
9 lbs. American 2-Row Malt
2 lbs. Crystal/Caramel Malt 40L
2 oz. Roasted Barley

60 minute mash @ 154.

Hops:
1 oz. Willamette @ 60 minutes
1 oz. Willamette @ 15 minutes

Yeast:
Irish Ale Yeast

I was a bit ambitious on this brew day. I was hoping to use my recently acquired turkey-fryer and brew outside, but the water has been shut off for the winter so the pipes won't burst. So I was stuck inside again. After the last all-grain batch, I knew to start early.

Before making my new batch, I bottled the IPA that I made just three weeks ago. Normally, I would move a beer from the primary fermenter to the secondary but because of time constraints and a "busy schedule" I decided not to. It's probably the quickest I've put a beer into bottles in a long time, and hopefully it won't suffer as a result. I tried a sample before bottling it and it was very bitter and hoppy, like an IPA should be.

I broke my hydrometer right before brewing, so my notes aren't very good. I feel like I did a better job hitting my target temperature right off the bat. The mash tun is also continuing to work just fine.

I still haven't purchased a wort-chiller, so I again left it to sit over night before pitching the yeast. I'm not sure how much this will affect the end result. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment